Thursday, July 12, 2012

XFCE window borders missing

On one bad day if you find your nice, slick xfce desktop environment is all messed up and there are no window decorations or title bar in the application windows.. it can be because your window manager has crashed. You can start it up by the command
xfwm4 --replace
You don't have to do this every time you log in. It should work automatically if you save your session when you log out. If not, you might want to clear out your sessions cache to reset it and solve the problem. To reset your sessions cache, simply delete the .cache/sessions folder in your home directory.
rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions
You can look at the logs in ~/.xession-errors to figure out the exact problem. Read more at this forum post.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome tip. Exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. My wife's XFCE seesion did this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Xfce was driven me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man. Was pulling my hair out about this. Was going to do a full reinstall to do as a last resort. Gracias man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a million!
    My Father's old laptop lost the boarders & I was lost.
    That command did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I come back here regularly, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete